FALL 2017 FISH FEEDING SCHEDULE
The first PDF file shows the fish feeding schedule sorted by both name and by date. The second PDF file provides some instructions, especially for students who haven't fed the fish before! If you have not fed before, please make arrangements with Dr. Earley or one of the graduate students to get trained (please set up an appointment before your 1st feeding assignment!)
SPRING 2018 GRADUATE STUDENT FISH ROOM SCHEDULE
Essentials of Fish Husbandry, Acquisition & Experimentation
Get Acquainted with IACUC
- Visit The University of Alabama Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee website where you will find information about animal care training, and links to the required training modules, and forms.
Training in Animal Acquisition, Care, and Maintenance
- All members of the Earley laboratory are required to read the following document thoroughly before engaging in animal husbandry, maintenance, or experimentation in the Earley laboratory. This document (linked below) contains essential information about how to:
1. Acquire IACUC training
2. Generate experimental protocols that are compliant with IACUC guidelines
3. Order fish from commercial suppliers or pet stores
4. Acquire fish from the laboratories of collaborators
5. Collect fish in the field
6. Prepare the proper documentation for fish acquisition and maintenance
Important forms included in this document are:
1. Animal Care Facility Registration Form (Appendix I)
2. UAACUP Health History Medical Evaluation Form (Appendix II)
3. Animal Care Facility Transient Worker Registration Form (Appendix III)
4. UA IACUC Proposal Modification Form (Appendix IV)
5. UA IACUC Proposed Animal Use Review Form (Appendix V)
6. Animal Acquisition Form - Commercial Suppliers & Pet Stores (Appendix VI)
7. Animal Acquisition Form - Fish Acquired from Collaborator Laboratory (Appendix VII)
8. Animal Acquisition Form - Fish Acquired from the Field (Appendix VIII)
Also, for fish orders, download the ACF Animal Order form. Any questions about this documentation should be addressed directly to Dr. Earley only.
- Download the field collections Excel file to maintain an up-to-date record of your collections.
Easy Access to Fish Maintenance Documents
- All members of the Earley laboratory who engage in activities related to the husbandry or care of fishes are required to download and read the earleylab_sop_fishcare2 standard operating procedures document linked below.
There is a daily maintenance log located in Biology 228. This includes feeding, water quality checks, rivulus hatchling maintenance and loading into the colony, and general fish room maintenance and quality assurance. Weekly maintenance logs, directions on how to test water quality, and directions on how to feed the fish are linked below. In addition, links to our hatchling log sheets, census logs, and rack signs can be found below. Lastly, there are documents describing how to cycle tanks without fish, how to disinfect fish-related materials with bleach, and how to decapsulate brine shrimp eggs.
The University of Alabama is committed to providing an inclusive environment that is free from harassment or discrimination based on race, genetic information, color, religion, ethnicity, national origin, socioeconomic status, political beliefs, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, age, ability, size, or veteran status.